Story Value

random musings and episodes from the life of a 40 something comidienne/corporate refugee/mom - since whatever doesn't kill you provides excellent story value.

Monday, November 27, 2006

A few things to be thankful for

On the heels of Turkey Day weekend, I couldn't help but to consider a few things that sparked my gratitude over the holiday. I won't be all "Andy Rooney" about them all but:

1) I'm thankful I don't have a camera phone (or, if I do, that I am unaware of its existence). Believe you me, I am ALL for convenience and the ability to snap hilarious instant photos. I am a life-long fan of the Polaroid instamatic. I do, however, think we were a little choosier about our pictures when there was film involved. As I was forging my way through an endless human ocean in New York City over the weekend, I was struck by the number of people who just randomly thrust their camera phones through the crowd in every random direction -- snapping photos of store displays, steaming man-hole covers, hot dog carts, shopping bags ... you name it. I might not have noticed, except the camera phone frenzy presents a new etiquette dilemma. Ordinarily, I would wait to cross in-front of someone snapping a photo or would, at the very least, make an effort to duck, bob, or weave to avoid being in their picture. However, when you're on a sidewalk crammed to the gills with people and 98.3% of them are constantly waving their arms in wanton directions to snap pictures at every conceivable angle, you can't help but to be part of the action. Look for my ear, neck and ankle on the internet. I have to believe those shots would be slightly more interesting than the man-hole cover.

2) I am thankful for traditions. As goofy as they sometimes are ... and as much as we sometimes rail against our being required to be someplace we'd rather not be, doing something we hope no one sees us doing, occasionally with some people we would ordinarily cross the street to avoid ... Traditions are the glue that holds family and friends together.
We all need a sense of what is expected from us and how we are "to play the game." When you have traditions - especially long standing ones - everybody knows how to be with one another, and that is priceless. In my own family-of-origin, the traditions died out with my grandmother. Now every family member is cast out in their own orbit. These days we're so respectful of one another's boundaries and independence that, without the expectations of a strong family matriarch/patriarch or a brave soul willing to be the emotional family center -- we just carry on in our own way, wistfully wishing "someone" would bring us all back together.
Fortunately, the family I married into is long on tradition. I see how much that anchors the family and how much my own children love being a part of it all. I can't wait to be a bossy old matriarch myself and making up my own bizarre traditions. Its time for the flaming breakfast whiskey shots and then ... the traditional running of the monkeys!!! Bring it on.

3) I'm thankful for my children pointing out what has become invisible to me. Over the weekend, we took the kids and cousins to a theme restaurant in NY. (For those of you contemplating theme restaurants; a word of advice -- "don't") This particular restaurant was a haunted mansion with all sorts of interactive creatures -- mummies, The great and mighty Zeus, a Sphinx, a Werewolf, etc. Who wouldn't want their $ chicken nuggets served by a Werewolf, really? Burger King, take note.

This dining experience was definitely oriented to the under 10 set. We also paid a $/pap "entertainment charge" to see actors put on little skits throughout the meal.

I didn't pay much note to the performances, but my 7 year old was completely offended. He turned to me in moral outrage -- "Mom, they said the "c word", the "s word" and were insulting people!" Granted, the "c word" is "crap" and the "s word" is "stupid" ... But there they were -- calling the audience members "stupid morons" calling one another "ugly" yelling "what is all this crap?! and commanding everyone to worship Zeus instead of Santa because he has "zits on his back."

Not my bag, but I thought the kids would enjoy it. I should have given them more credit. You know what - that is just genuinely unpleasant & not redeemingly funny or clever enough to warrant the ugliness. It just goes to show you that even kids know entertainment value. I'm thankful they won't be asking to go there again :) Not having to be the bad guy ... priceless.

Another Thanksgiving under (and over the belt) :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home