Story Value

random musings and episodes from the life of a 40 something comidienne/corporate refugee/mom - since whatever doesn't kill you provides excellent story value.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Work That Skirt

Right now my four year old is vamping it up in a mini-skirt. That would be my four-year-old son, and the skirt is actually a dishtowel held together with a chip-clip, but he looks quite fetching. This is because he knows how to accessorize and is working his red carpet moves in such a way that gives Tyra Banks valid concern for her job security.

That’s my boy – he is all that, and some more. Friends ask “Is he gay?” Maybe. “Is he going to be a Metrosexual?” maybe. “Is this just a phase?” … Maybe, but I doubt it.

I have never met anyone who so full-on knew what they wanted and loved since the day they were born.

People also ask me (in concerned tones) “You let him have Hello Kitty sheets?” or “So, you let him wear make up?” These people haven’t met my boy. “Let” doesn’t really come into any equation where he’s concerned.

He is so incredibly charming and adorable and how could anyone deny their sweet, sweet child the things which make them the happiest – especially when your reward is a very loud “Double Te Amo Mommy!!!” and a kiss that makes sailors blush.

That’s not to say that I don’t have fears and doubts. I mostly fear the day when other kids make fun of him and break his little heart. My deepest fear is that he will think he is somehow crazy, weird or becomes ashamed of who he is.

Today, he is – in his own word … Fableous!

There is no one else I know who can look out a window and find the one purple flower in a sea of concrete, find the beautiful butterfly in a grey sky or can almost magically hear the prettiest music or smell the best smells we all would otherwise miss. He is totally switched on. All his senses just vibrate.

The power his convictions hold amazes me. One night at a restaurant, I watched him skip over to his older brother and a group of boys huddled over a video game. He came back and asked me to get him his Cinderella make-up kit from the car and trotted right back over to the circle of boys. These boys had brush cuts and hockey jerseys -- and while only 6 or 7 years old -- they looked like a tough crowd.

My boy immediately began demonstrating his products. “I have Cinderella makeup!” he announced. “I have glittery eye-shadow and lip gloss that smells soooo delicious. Here, I’ll show you what I do …” and he proceeded to demonstrate the makeup on himself with all the conviction and zeal of a Ron Popeil Veg-O-Matic informercial.

Across the room, I winced … waiting for the older boys to say something mean or sarcastic. They didn’t. They stood there completely dumbfounded by the hurricane. Finally one of them turned to my older son and asked “Does he have a lot of Barbie stuff?”

My eldest replied “Oh yeah! He loves Barbie stuff – he has a ton.” With no invitation or opening to snicker or deride, the boys just shrugged & said “Cool” and went back to what they were doing.

My little guy skipped back to the table incredibly pleased with his demonstration and had some pizza.

There’s a lot I could learn from this kid. Its amazing the sphere of protection we have when we have the courage of our convictions. No can really pierce your armor when you are passionately committed to what you love most.

I love my boy’s creative little soul and I respect his mojo, which is considerable. I have lived so many years trying to please others or avoid their derision. “Would it be all right with you if I was just a little creative or different?… I’ll do it over here – you won’t notice it at all …”

Not my youngest – He is full out 200% himself at all times. I only hope I grow up to be more like him.

Work that skirt!

7 Comments:

Blogger Miss Violet said...

Hello Kitty sheets for all! Rock on, little guy. XO Violet

11:49 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Okay, first of all I've been waiting like a LIFETIME for another post from you. Just a little Jewish guilt to start what I really want to say...

...which is that this post brought tears to my eyes at the same time I was cracking up. Kudos to you, my friend, and kudos to your fabulous son.

Let's hear it for the boy!

xoxoxo,
Sam

4:42 PM  
Blogger aaryn b. said...

I love this little boy and don't even know him. But his mother? Now SHE is something spectacular! Keep on nurturing him for who he is. Life is going to take it's knocks whether he has Hello Kitty sheets or GI Joe sheets. But with supportive parents in his corner, he will have the tools to survive with his lovely, unique, brilliant spirit in tact.

Keep on keepin' on...

4:42 PM  
Blogger aaryn b. said...

PS: you just inspired me to listen to "Free To Be You & Me" with my baby...

4:53 PM  
Blogger T. said...

I found your blog through Sam's and I am a reader of Aaryn's too. I LOVED, Work that skirt AND In which I am pimping for a 4 year old.

I too have a son (my youngest of 3 boys and a girl) that is kind, loving, artistic and "metro."

There is a cute story about my Henry on my friend Cheri's' site. If you want to check it out it's at http://blogthismom.blogspot.com
/2006/06/my-fair-lady-and-her-friends.html

I am hooked on your blog!

11:25 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Your little guy is sooooo unbelievably lucky to have such a warm, wonderful, and nurturing mother who encourages him to shine in the light of his own unique brilliance. We should all be so lucky!
:)
Amy

12:18 AM  
Blogger matthew oshea said...

im a father of two gay sons who came out to me when they were both 12 years old one year apart and i love there resilence towards the life they life they have my full support and love they are 14 and 15 now and are the love of my life there only true safe place to be gay is our home where there free to express there feelings for life but i dont allow it at school im afraid from them kudos to your boy

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home